1 Nephi 3:7 "...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Monday, October 29, 2012

Learning Why The Lord Put Me Where I Am

I learned some new missionary language this week and Elder Parkinson refers to it in some of his emails.  Just so you know, this is some of the lingo: Expecting a child is when you find out you are going to be a trainer. The trainer becomes that new missionaries Dad. Any other missionaries that "Dad" trains are brothers to the new missionary. A companion to an Elder who finishes his mission "kills" the leaving elder. They count how many people they "kill" and how many "children" they have.  I thought this was kind-of funny and I guess a good way to all understand each other in their own way. I wanted to share this so that you didn't think Elder Parkinson was really wanting to "kill" someone.  I love his attitude and his positive way of thinking.


Elder Parkinson:  Hey mom, sorry about the emailing last week.  I only got one of your emails.  Yes, I did get the letter from Christeen (Jordan's Aunt), so you can tell her that she is sending it to the right address.  As far as gift cards go, if anyone asks you what kind to send, just tell them that food places are always good.  I did get all of the packages and the blanket is perfect, so thank you!  The baptism last week went well.  I did the baptism and I filled out the paper work and I guess I did it wrong, so my comp is all grumpy about that.  I just feel like he is judging me at all times and I am ready to "kill" him and get someone new.  He is hard to work with, but I am pushing through it and hoping that I can just learn why the Lord put me with him.  I am glad that all the snow melted, so hopefully you will still be able to get the foundation poured this year.  Tell Cooper to not be discouraged about basketball and to just keep working hard.  Tell him about my junior high and sophomore experience with not playing much and then I became the 6th man for varsity my junior and senior year.  That is so cool that Austin's seminary teacher thinks that he is a really spiritual kid.  I am so happy for him and I am happy for everyone.  I hope you get this soon.

Mom:  That is too bad about your comp, but you have the perfect attitude about it.  There are always people in our lives that we just don't quite click with, but if we learn to accept them for who they are and make the best of it we are blessed.  I'm glad that you got the packages and that the blanket is what you were looking for.  Are there any specific food places that you would prefer gift cards for?  How are your other investigators doing?

Elder Parkinson:  Yeah, but it is okay, we are still trying to work hard.  As far as gift cards, BK and Carl's Jr. would be good.

Mom:  Sounds good.  How was your BBQ last Pday?  What are your plans today?  You said that you have started working out with 2 other elders, what do you do?  Where do you work out at?  I just love you SO much!!!!

Elder Parkinson:  The BBQ was great.  We had some good food.  Today we are just going to play sports.  When we work out, we just do all kinds of different stuff, but we do it at our house.  I love you too.  Tell Abbey Smith thanks for writing and I will be writing back shortly.  Will you also ask Hannah is she has replied to my letter?

Mom:  Yes, I will thank Abbey and ask Hannah.  How are your investigators?  Any new baptisms coming up?  Are you liking Palmdale?  Keep smiling and know that we all love you.  Oh, and some new pictures would be nice, hahaha.

Elder Parkinson:  The pictures are on their way.  We are going to set up some more baptismal dates this week.  Well, I have to get going so I love you SO much and will talk to you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment