1 Nephi 3:7 "...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

We have had such a great missionary week.  Elder Thacker, one of Jordan's good friends from the San Fernando mission, had his homecoming on Sunday.  Cooper and I were able to make the trip to Vernal to attend and meet Elder Thacker and his family.  It was such a great experience to be able to meet someone who has just recently been with your son.  Elder Thacker and his family are amazing people and we definitely know why Elder Parkinson loves him so much.  I am so thankful that Heavenly Father puts such great examples and influences in our lives and allows our paths to cross.  
Another exciting thing was being able to email with Elder Parkinson for quite a while today.  We were headed to Pocatello to pick up our boat and I was worried that I wouldn't have any connection to email back and forth.  Fortunately everything worked out wonderfully and the trip flew by emailing back and forth with Jordan.  He was so excited that we were getting the boat out for the summer because that is his baby.  He is at home on "Blue Devil."  The icing on the cake was being able to take some photos of the boat and send to him.  Just think, next summer he will be joining us :)


Elder Thacker with Cooper and mom.  Justin and Austin were at a basketball tournament in Dallas for the weekend and Elder Thacker was a little bummed that he didn't get to meet the infamous "Dr. P" that  Jordan talks so much about.


Elder Parkinson:  Hey mom.  I am so happy that you were able to meet Ryker Thacker.  I love that kid!  He was a great example to me.  The story he told you about cleaning dirty ties is very true, haha.  I am a pro at that.  I was so happy when he came to Van Nuys and when he first came he looked like he was going to be serious and not want to have any fun, but it turned out that he was way chill.  I hope that all goes well with picking up the boat and that everything works on it this summer because I still only want a Malibu, haha.  Also, the boat will look really good going to Pocatello, but then not so much on the way back to Bountiful because the King Ranch is taking it to Pocatello and then it has to have a Sequoia pull it to Bountiful, haha.  I am glad that Austin is doing better and that they did good during their tourney.  I can't believe that this will be the last summer before I get home.  I am glad to hear that dad is staying busy and that everyone is doing well.  I did get an email from Dave and he sounds really good.  Well, I love you and hope that all is well and that we will be able to email back and forth.

Mom:  I don't know what you are talking about, I think the boat will look better with the Sequoia pulling it ;)  Ryker is a great kid and I can see why you two get along.  I think he misses you just like you miss him.  How was your week?  How are your investigators doing?

Elder Parkinson:  Haha, No Way and it will take you double the time to get home ;)  I can't wait to talk to him when I get home and we do get along well.  The investigators are doing great.  We are still planning on the 2 baptisms.  Our spanish side is a little down, so I am going to fast this week to get more spanish people to teach.  I can still speak Spanish though, so don't worry.  Where are you at?

Mom:  We are almost to Tremonton right now.  I am glad to hear that you still have the 2 baptisms scheduled and that your spanish is still good.  Thacker told me that he took the spanish test when he got home and got credit for all 4 years of Spanish, so make sure you keep using it.  I would love to fast with you.  When are you fasting?  Did you get the package that we sent?

Elder Parkinson:  Um, there is a rule that we can't ask people to join us in fasts back home, but if you would like to I am going to fast everyday until dinner and then start over the next day.  I can't wait for the baptisms.  Our investigators are so great.  I hope that I will be able to do as well on the spanish test when I get home.

Mom:  I would love to join you in the fast, as long as it's okay.  Did you get the ties and water bottle?  What are you doing today?

Elder Parkinson:  I did get the ties and the water bottle and I love them both.  The water bottle does work very well at staying cold and not having condensation all over it.  I gave the other tie to my kid (his companion).  I do have a tie request from an elder.  His name is Elder _____ and he would really like a pink paisley Donald Trump tie.  He lives in the house that I used to live in, so could you send it there?

Mom:  Okay, I will get right on that pink paisley trump tie and send it to the house with the Lancaster address.  Is he the one from Mexico?  What are you doing today?  How is your comp doing?  Could you believe how many missionaries there were going out on that clipping I sent you?

Elder Parkinson:  No, he is from Columbia.  He is way cool and he doesn't have much so he wears a lot of the same stuff and his shoes are also falling apart.  My comp is fine and we are we are working hard.

Mom:  Should I send him more than one tie? 

Elder Parkinson:  You could.  Also, do you think you could send out some dress shoes for an 11 foot size.  His shoes have big holes in them.

Mom:  Yes, I would love to!  Are you sure he's a size 11?  You haven't told me what your plans are for today.

Elder Parkinson:  Yes, he is a size 11, haha.  For today we are going out and riding on a sand rail which is kind of like a dune buggy, then a member is taking us to sushi.

Mom:  Sounds like a perfect day for you!  Make sure you take some pictures for us!

Elder Parkinson:  I will for sure.  It is all you can eat sushi so we will see how much I can eat.  Will you please send me a picture of the boat behind the King Ranch and then one of it behind the Sequoia?  I love that boat so much and I also really like that truck!  I want you to know that I love you so much and I hope you drive home safely.

 This is the boat behind Jordan's grandpa's King Ranch.  This picture is just like Heaven to him.


We weren't quite ready to hook the boat up to the Sequoia, so this is the picture Elder Parkinson got.  He likes to make fun of my Sequoia because he thinks it is SOOOO inferior to a Ford truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment