1 Nephi 3:7 "...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

Monday, February 25, 2013

Hello Lake Los Angeles

Jordan had transfers last week and we had no idea where he was going.  He said that he would send a letter with his new address, but we didn't get that until Saturday.  It was a long week wondering where our Elder was at.  We finally found out that he went further into the desert into a very small area called Lake Los Angeles.  Jordan is a country boy at heart, so he will be fine in this new area.


Elder Parkinson:  I am glad that you finally got my letter.  I am doing great.  Lake LA is so small and there wasn't any work when I came in.  My comp is Elder Barker and he is from Evanston, Wyoming.  He has been out 1 transfer longer than me.  I am still on a bike, but the area we are in used to be a car area so it is way big.  We ride our bikes almost 45 miles a day.  I am so tired and I am ready to go to a car area, but it will be fine.  Lake Los Angeles is kind of like Burley, Idaho - there is nothing here, haha.  We are about 45 minutes away from Palmdale.  I still live in a house, so that is good.  Elder Barker is a country boy so we are both hard workers and ready to get this area going again.  I am glad to hear that Cooper's team won their basketball tournament and that he was able to have his Eagle Court of Honor.  It is very useful to be an Eagle.  Also, I am glad that Austin is enjoying basketball.  I hope that BHS does well in state.  Could you send me out some bread and whatever else you would like to send out, haha.  I hope that all is well in Utah.  We got a little snow here in Lake LA and it is also very windy here, which makes it even more fun to be on a bike.

Mom:  I am so glad to hear that you are doing well.  Are you the only missionaries in Lake LA?  How is your new bike?

Elder Parkinson:  Well, we live with two other missionaries that speak spanish and then there are 2 english missionaries.  The new bike is great.  We are doing our best to get the work going, but it is hard.

Mom:  I know that you will do great because you are such a hard worker!  Are there many places to eat in Lake LA?  How is the branch?

Elder Parkinson:  Haha, there are like local places to eat, but no McDonald's or anything like that.  The branch is small, but it is good.  They are great cooks!  To shop we have to drive 30 minutes to get somewhere that has a bigger store.

Mom:  Do any of the missionaries there have a car?  Are you doing okay with all of your other supplies and clothing?  Where do you email from?

Elder Parkinson:  The english speaking elders have a truck so that is how we get places.  We are supposed to get a truck in 4 weeks, but we will see, haha.  Everything is good and I don't need anything else.  We email from our church and we always do it at 10 in the morning.

Mom:  That is good to know :)  You are such and amazing son!  We love you SO much!  Are you still working out?  What do you think you will do on P days in Lake LA?

Elder Parkinson:  Well, I am still working out, yes.  Today we are going shopping then we are going to play ball at the stake center in Lancaster.

Mom:  That sounds fun.  How far away is the stake center?  Where do you have zone or district meetings at?

Elder Parkinson:  Well, the stake center is about 30 minutes away.  We have our meetings at our church which is like 5 minutes from our house.

Mom:  Who are your zone leaders?  I hope you have an amazing week and are able to find some success!

Elder Parkinson:  My zone leaders are Elder Maxwell and Thacker.  I have to go now because there are others waiting, so I love you and will talk to you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment